Spider Veins and Varicose Veins Treatment in Sunshine Coast
Varicose veins may cause aching in the legs, brownish stains on skin, skin ulceration and clots within the veins.
Treating with sclerotherapy as a walk in- walk out procedure is one of the options for spider veins and varicose veins treatment in Sunshine Coast. Please book an appointment to discuss and obtain further information on this option.
Feel free to explore our website www.kontikimedical.com.au to learn more about Kon-Tiki Medical Centre.
Ultrasound guided sclerotherapy
Sclerotherapy using a solution used in this practice to inject into spider veins. It has been used widely throughout the world and providing that it is used properly, it is very safe. Sclerosant is fully registered in Australia.
Nevertheless, as with any other solution injected, there are possible side effects. These include the following:
- Allergic reactions including anaphylaxis.
- Pigmentation (brown staining) of the overlying skin. In most cases, this disappears within a year. In order to minimise this side effect we advise you not to take any iron supplements before, during and for 3 months after the course of treatment.
- Ulcers. These are rare and tend to be small and heal within weeks. More rarely, these can be larger and may heal with pigmentation.
- Phlebitis. Inflammation of the veins that may present as tender red lumps along the line of the treated vein.
- Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) +/- Pulmonary embolus (PE). This is when a clot develops in the veins. It is a very rare occurrence particularly when sclerotherapy is accompanied by compression and regular walking. It may be an underlying sign of prothrombotic tendency, therefore initial ultrasound mapping and medical history taking appointment is booked to avoid complications to procedure.
- New Vessel formation. This is the development of fine red blood vessels near the sites of injection. It occurs especially on the thighs. It is reported to occur in approximately 10% of patients. Future sclerotherapy may not be suitable for you if this occurs.
Preparing for sclerotherapy
- Do not use moisturiser for two days prior to treatment.
- If you have TED stockings bring them with you. If not, you will be measured for a pair on the day.
- Allow 45 minutes for the appointment and a further 30 minutes for a walk immediately following the appointment.
Procedure of sclerotherapy
Once the veins have been injected they are covered with a gauze dressing and tape. When the procedure is finished the leg is bandaged and a compression stocking (TED stocking) is put on.
Why only one leg is treated per session.
Care after treatment
Leave the stocking and dressings on for 3 days. After 3 days you can remove the stocking & dressings, and then wear only the stocking during the day for a further 4 -7 days.
A review appointment is made for two weeks.
Please call to book an appointment for consultation and ultrasound mapping and treatment options discussion. No referral needed. Private billing’s only. Please call the centre for more information. Procedures performed on certain days of the week only.